12 June 2017
May Newsletter – Home Is Where The Pool Is!
Message from Head
The May calendar just showed two weekends of competition, but what a couple of amazing weekends they were.
FSC was represented at the South East Regional 14 and under championships by 7 swimmers, the most to date at the very competitive Regionals. The first weekend FSC was led by Ella Rose Walton swimming to a 3rd place in the 400m Free and Amy Strode who finished an impressive 5th place in the 200m Butterfly. Ella Rose also competed in the 200m IM, 100m Back, 200m Back and the 50m Free with Amy also competing in the 100m Back, 200m Back and the 100m Butterfly. Other swimmers competing over the first weekend were Ella Cheesman 50m Breaststroke, Alessandro Harker 100m and 200m Breaststroke and Jasper Coggins 50m Backstroke.
The second weekend of the 14 and under Regional Championships again saw Ella Rose Walton leading the way for FSC placing 3rd in the 800m Free, 5thplace in the 400m IM and 7th place in the 200m Free. Ella Rose also competed in the 100m Free. Other FSC swimmers competing were Jordan Hammond and Ross Porter who swam very impressively in the 200m Butterfly, Alessandro Harker 200m Butterfly and the 50m Breaststroke, Amy Strode 50m Butterfly and 50m Backstroke, Ella Cheesman 100m and 200m Breaststroke. All of our Regional representatives performed very well and had some very impressive best times.
This was a great Regional Championships for FSC a BIG improvement from past seasons and I am sure that next year’s Regional Championships will be even better!!!
Message From Chairman
This month I would like to wish all our swimmers best of luck in their year end exams. Especially to our GSCE or A level students who have all been studying so hard. Swimming teaches us to be disciplined, focussed, work hard and try even harder which I know our swimmers know how to do really well!
The team is always here for you and please don't hesitate to tell your coaches if you need some time off or a more relaxed training session. Please make sure you focus on your year end exams and I am sure we will all again be immensely proud of your results, good luck!
Message from Treasurer
It is the member’s responsibility to make sure their standing orders are correct. Please also check your invoices on ‘swimclubmanager’ and that any outstanding fee’s from Club Championships and Mini meet are settled as soon as possible. If you have recently changed squads, please make sure you are paying the correct amount.
Invoices have been sent out for Club Sprints and will require payment.
1. FSC AGM
Sunday 18th June 2017
Farnham Leisure Centre (Studio 2) 6:30pm
2. Farnham Carnival – Saturday 24th June
The theme is "It’s a Beach” volunteers wanted to come and participate. All volunteers congregate at the Upper Hart Car Park by 4.30pm.
If you are interested in helping, the contacts will be Natalie and James Cheesman [email protected] or just let the Sunday Desk have your details.
3. Richard Allen Success - we are immensely proud of FSC swimmer Richard Allen who continues to go from strength to strength and won the European and World Level in Duathalon.
4. Open Water Open Water training has started. Great to see so many younger swimmers taking part. They enjoyed the Balmy temperature of 18.6 at Mytchett Lake!
5. Road Closures in Farnham – There will be several road closures in Farnham town centre on 2nd July between 5pm to 7.45pm for a bike race.
T30 BBQ ON
13th August for those of you who took part in this
event. Contact Nick for further details.
7. Team Manager Training
Team Managers are needed at Open Meets and Galas to monitor the swimmers and ensure they get to their races on time. It is also a great way of watching your child race without paying for the privilege. These Team Managers need to have undertaken a training session, DBS check, and will need to attend a safeguarding workshop. We are looking to arrange a training session soon. If you are interested, please email [email protected]
8. Video - It has been exactly 2 years since we came up with the idea of producing a video for our swimmers, which was welcomed with lots of great comments and a positive note to how great, family orientated and fun our club is. It is time to do it again in the next couple of weeks, and we will be discussing format and content that will be needed. If you wish to participate, do let me know [email protected]
Hoodies, t-bags and the slim style onesie are available to order via swim club manager, at the Sunday desk or via Cathie direct. Please note t-bags sizes are 28" 30" 32" - for children, and small, medium and large - for adults. Samples for trying on are available every Sunday at the sports centre. Cathie
Swim Events coming up:
1. Cranleigh Open Meet – 11th June – All entries were accepted.
2. Surrey Masters SSP Guildford – Saturday 24th June. Entries now closed.
3. FSC Mini Meet – 25th June – All swimmers in Newts, Frogs Black and Tadpoles Red/Black/Lane 6 squads have been invited to take part in 25m or 50m events, depending on age. There will be NO training for other squads or swimmers not taking part. The Promoter’s Conditions can be found on the FSC/Events page. Deadline for entries is June 11th. Deadline for payment is June 18th.
4. FSC Club Sprints – 2ndJuly – All swimmers in Regional, Sharks Red/Black, Starfish, Frogs Red, Barracudas and Masters squads have been invited to take part. There will be NO training for other squads or swimmers not taking part. The Promoter’s Conditions can be found on the FSC/Events page. Deadline for entries is June 11th. Deadline for payment is June 18th.
5. Regional Open Water Chichester 8th July – Westhampnett Lake, 9am Start. Check ASA Website for your event time and more information.
6. Arena League Selection - Swimmers likely to be selected for the Arena League please put the following dates in your diaries: 14th Oct, 11th Nov, 9th Dec.
6. FSC "No Frills” – 23rdJuly – All swimmers will soon be invited to take part in this end of season event. There will be 25m events for swimmers in the Tadpole squads and 100m stroke events and a 200m free event for all other squads. The Promoter’s Conditions can be found on the FSC/Events page.
If anyone enters additional competitions independently, please let me know so that Swim times can be updated in SCM.
Take a look on the events page for further details of the latest galas and meets:
Nicky Goodall - Events Secretary
Ideas are welcome regarding social events for the New Year & Spring time as well as anyone wanting to help our social committee.
We have already had some brilliant suggestions and are swaying towards a 'total wipeout' style watersports event.
Sunday Desk Helpers
Can you spare a couple of hours every few weeks to help on our Sunday Desk? If so, please contact Carrie. Ideally you would be asked to be available from 4.45pm-7pm or perhaps even for the first hour or last hour, full training given!
Welfare Issues - Welfare
Top moan - It has
been brought to our attention by the Sports Centre staff that a
number of swimmers/centre users not being able to find a changing
cubicle. We cannot reserve changing cubicles!
Please do not leave your bags and items in a change cubicle whilst training, each pool has lockers available and should you be using a locker please make sure you lock your clothes and valuables away as it has been noticed that belongings are being put in lockers without being locked, you do this at your own risk. We cannot reserve changing cubicles.
Swim Trial Enquiries - contact Carrie
Membership Enquiries - contact Rachel.
Fundraising - Please use the Easyfundraising link from our website when you shop on-line – there are lots of different companies that will donate money to the Club when you shop. Also by using the ProSwimwear link on the website you can earn back money for the Club. ?
Items for the Newsletter: Please email Bryony if there is anything you would like to see in the Newsletter [email protected]