01 October 2016
Message from Head Coach
Well It’s been a GREAT first month to start off the season!
The atmosphere at practice has been ‘ELECTRIC’! All squads are displaying very noticeable improvements in ALL areas! Most noticeably each swimmer is displaying the desire to be the ‘best you can be’ and everyone is working so hard and motivation is at an all time high! Swimmer attendance has been great and hopefully everyone will keep it going all season long!
This past month was highlighted with two FSC Sprint Galas and the Littlehampton County Qualifier Open Meet. Many swimmers posted personal best times while other more seasonal swimmers were very close to their life time bests, a GREAT way to start the season.
A busy competitive month is ahead with upcoming events to look forward to in October, on the 8th will be the first round of the Arena League at the Mountbatten Centre, Portsmouth. On the 15th & 16th the Rushmoor Royals Open Meet. FSC Club Champ distance events 1500m / 800m Saturday 22nd, 400m Tuesday 25th. Hart Open Meet Saturday 29th.
Let’s keep up the GREAT work and keep the focus on being the best you can be!
1. FARNHAM SWIMMING CLUB AND SURREY ASA TEAM GB MEMBER , SOUTH EAST REGIONAL SWIMMER, RICHARD ALLEN SCOOPED THE SILVER MEDAL IN THE UNDER 23 WORLD AQUATHLON CHAMPIONSHIPS 2016.
On a day when Alistair Brownlee won the men’s open Gold medal commenting that the conditions were severely hot and extremely difficult to contend with, Richard held strong to collect the Silver Medal in the U23 category. It is a testament to the dedication of Richard’s training and preparation and a true reward for his many years of effort.
In 123 years of the Club we believe that this is our first World Championships medal! Richard has asked me to convey his thanks to Farnham Swimming Club, Head Coach Martin Edwards and his coaching team as well as his training and competing team mates without which this GB silver medal would not have been possible.
2. T30 – Come On You Can Do It!
Masters T30 - calling on all club members and parents – the only requirement is to be at least 18 years old on the day of the swim. A fast or leisurely swim for just 30 minutes –all entries need to be processed before 31 December, apart from exceptional circumstances, the swimming has to be done and reported to the Club by December 15th. To take part and for further information please contact Caroline Butterwick
3. Skin Tattoos
We now have amazing FSC skin tattoos available! They are available in packs of 10 for £12, two packs maximum per swimmer.
Packs will be available for the Arena League team on Saturday and the rest available at the Sunday desk.
Payment can be done online (preferred) or by cheque or cash at the Sunday desk.
4. Swim Club Manager Upgrade
As you may be aware our swimclubmanager system has been upgraded to version 6. You would have received an email prior to the new our return with new login details. Any enquiries to Ben Walton.
5. New Welfare Officer
I'm Natalie and I am the new Welfare officer, having taken over the role from Elaine. I have two daughters who swim with FSC, one who has just joined Minnows and the other who is in Starfish - I can be found by the pool a lot of the time!
Having been involved with FSC since my eldest daughter joined around four years ago I have seen the club develop and grow. I have also had personal experience of using welfare and am therefore aware of the vital role the welfare officer can play.
It is so important that when swimmers train and swim competitively they feel happy and supported.
I am available to discuss any issues or questions that you have, whether it be face to face or you would prefer to drop me an email. Please feel free to contact me, from personal experience it is normally the case that where there is an issue or a concern we can work to resolve it together.
I will also endeavour to make myself available for an hour one night a week at Farnham Sports Centre, so that you are able to drop by and discuss anything you may need to.
If any of you would like
to discuss any welfare issues please email me (Natalie
6. THANK YOU ELAINE!
The Club Committee would like to thank Elaine for all her hard work as Welfare Officer and we are delighted that she will be continuing to supporting Natalie within the team.
7. J1/J2 Training
Thank you to all who attended our judge training on Sunday. 18 trainees for j1 - an amazing turnout a thank you. We also have 5 new J2 trainees and 2 J2S trainees. As well as 2 trainee referees. This is putting us in a great position to hold our own open meet. A reminder that there is an opportunity for all our trainees to get some experience at the spectrum on 22nd October and at the Hart meet on the 29th of October.
Thanks to all who came along to the end of summer BBQ. It was great to see so many new faces enjoying the fab food, fine conversation & fresh weather! Another huge thanks to all who helped organise, cook and clear up.
Swim Events coming up:
1. Arena League Round 1 – 8th October – Participating swimmers have already been informed.
2. Rushmoor Royals Autumn L2 Meet – 15/16th October – The Meet was heavily over-subscribed and affected swimmers have been informed. Once we get clarity from the organisers, we will issue invoices for final entries.
3. Master’s National Short course – Sheffield – 28/30th October
4. Hart Meet – 29th October – Accepted entries are now available on the FSC website. A handful of swimmers were rejected, however Session timings have been changed to accommodate most swimmers that entered. Invoices will be issued soon.
5. Club Champs – 22nd, 25th October 1st, 6th, 8th and 20th November – Entries are now closed and details have been sent out for checking. Event Schedule and Promoter's Conditions are available in SCM.
6. Club Mini Meet Champs (Newts/Frogs Black/Tadpoles Red/Black/Lane 6) - 13th November – Event Schedule and Promoters Conditions have been emailed and are also available in SCM & FSC website. Session invites have been sent out - please read carefully. Deadline for entries is 23/10/16.
7. Atlantis Christmas Cracker – 26th /27th of November – Swimmers with qualifying times have been informed, details submitted and accepted. Please ensure you pay for your events.
8. Surrey County Champs – 29th Jan to 26th Feb - For swimmers who meet qualifying times.
10. Surrey County Development – 29th Jan to 5th Mar - For swimmers who meet qualifying times.
Take a look on the events page for all important galas and meets for your diaries
Trip to the Olympic pool - the social committee have discussed the prospect of taking a group to swim in the Olympic pool, Stratford as a winter treat. We would travel by coach and have dinner, returning around 10pm. This would be suitable for confident swimmers. At this point we want to get an idea of numbers so please email if you are interested.
Sunday Desk Helpers
We recently have recruited some new helpers for the next season but if you can you spare a couple of hours every few weeks to help on our Sunday Desk? If so, please contact Carrie. Ideally you would be asked to be available from 4.45pm-7pm or perhaps even for the first hour or last hour, full training given!
Squad Reps Needed
We are looking for a Squad Rep, for Tadpoles Black, it’s a sizeable squad so there must be someone who can help, so your squad can get information more quickly regarding any updates
Our Reps forward Club emails to their squad members but to also take enquiries from their members and forward to the relevant person in the Club. It is a useful link through the Club and allows information to be distributed and received quickly. If you are a parent of a swimmer in one of these squads and can help please contact Sharon.
Now that we've started our new schedule of swimming I would like to remind Swimmers and Parents about some of the basic do's and don'ts. We need to be respectful to our fellow swimmers and observe any rules set down by the Club and the host Pools that we use.
Sadly these are the top six moans that we receive from your fellow Club members so if we can all take note we can easily resolve them I'm sure:
- Please do not leave your bags and items in a change cubicle whilst training, each pool has lockers available. We cannot reserve changing cubicles.
- Swimmers are requested to use the shower areas promptly and appropriately.
- Parents are reminded not to use the Blue seats poolside at Farnham, our Policy is we request you not to go poolside during training. You may occasionally see parents there
- whilst a swim trial is happening or whilst members of the public are supporting swimmers in private lessons, or for the collection of Minnows.
- Please arrive poolside ready for training, with your kit swim hat and goggles. If you must leave the pool to use the toilet please get acknowledgement from your Coach first and return promptly.
- Be observant of the lane you are in and whether you are swimming on the right or left side of the lane. In general Odd number lanes you swim on the right, Even number lanes on the left, check this and be aware of fellow lane swimmers.
- Make room for incoming swimmers to tumble or finish their length.
- Finally - take care when overtaking or catching up to a swimmer, a tap on toes lets them know you are there.
Most of all, enjoy your swimming!
Should you have anyone wishing to enquire about swimming trials please refer them to the website to register for a trial or contact Carrie.
Please use the Easyfundraising link from our website when you shop on-line – there are lots of different companies that will donate money to the Club when you shop. Also by using the ProSwimwear link on the website you can earn back money for the Club.
Items for the Newsletter:
Please email [email protected] if there is anything you would like to see in the newsletter