STAGE 9 SILVER SQUAD*
*The criteria is a guide and ultimately decisions on all transitions is at the discretion of the Head Coach. If you have any queries during these times please arrange to speak to the Head Coach in the first instance.
- Monday 18:00-19:00(1hr)
- Thursday 18:00-19:00(1hr)
- Friday 19:00-20:30(1.5hrs)
- Sunday 17:00-18:00(1hr)
- 4.5 hours per week
These sessions are for skill and stroke development
Average per week 4800m
- Must attend a minimum of 2 hours (2 sessions) each week.Be available for development galas, selected open meets and Team competitions if selected, unless discussed with the Coach.
- Compete at Club Championship Events.
- Have or have been identified as having potential to achieve County qualifying times, based on attitude and application.
Silver Squad COMPETITIVE SWIMMING
At the end of this stage, swimmers will be able to:
1. Complete a set lasting 800 metres (either 16 x 50m; 8 x 100m; 4 x 200m) on a specific turn around time set by the coach (e.g. 1m10s for 50 metres; 2m20s for 100 metres; 4m40s for 200 metres)
2. Swim 800 metres continuously choosing one stroke. (15mins)
3. Swim a continuous 100 metres Individual Medley using legal turns.
4. Perform a 15m underwater kick on front in a streamlined position.
5. Perform a backstroke start then Butterfly kick in a streamlined position underwater until 10m from the start point (wall), transfer into stroke and complete the remainder of the 25m.
6. Perform a Front Crawl start, underwater kick in a streamlined position until a minimum of 10m from the start point (wall) is completed, transfer into stroke and complete the remainder of the 25m.
7. Perform a Butterfly start, kick in a streamlined position until a minimum of 10m from the start point (wall) is completed, transfer into stroke and complete the remainder of the 25m.
8. Perform a Breaststroke start, perform a one and a half pull (A Pull) under water, transfer into stroke and complete the remainder of the 25 metres..
N.B. All starts to be done by a ‘take your marks, go’ by the coach. The go can be by whistle or shout.
Where participants are physically unable to ever achieve an outcome listed, the award should be granted based on the achievement of the remaining outcomes or a suitable adaptation to meet the needs of the individual.
- A ‘Set’ is a collective term referring to a complete distance that may be swum as ‘one distance’ without stops or split into sections that total the complete distance. ‘Turn around’ time is the time in which a given distance must be completed and any rest must be taken within this time.
- ‘IM’ refers to individual medley.
- ‘Underwater Kick’ refers to either Butterfly Kick or Front Crawl Kick.
- Front Crawl, Butterfly or Breaststroke starts could be either of the following (swimmers choice)
- ‘Track Start’ refers to a starting position as follows: 1 foot is placed at the front of the block/poolside. Hands grab either at the front or to the side of the front foot.
- ‘Grab Start’ refers to a starting position as follows: 2 feet, shoulder width apart, toes over the edge, hands can be either in-between the feet or either side of the feet.
- ‘One and a half pull under water’ – “A PULL” refers to a the swimmer pushing of the wall streamlined, then performing a complete pull where the hands finish by the hips, the hands then recover inside of the body to full stretch and into the first breaststroke pull, the head must break the surface of the water before the hands turn inwards on this first breaststroke pull.
NOTE: These squads are subject to change and you will be notified of any changes to squad names, session times and any effect on monthly squad fees
We also have some more details on our Club Night Operating Procedures page.