Affiliated to East Midlands Region & Northamptonshire ASA
Club Code of Conduct
The objective of this document is to establish a set of guidelines and procedures, which outline the responsibilities and behaviour of all staff, swimmers and parents who are all members of the Daventry Dolphins Swimming Club. It is expected that the principles of the Code of Conduct should be followed at ALL events including training sessions. (See also the Code of Conducts for members, parents’ and committee, volunteers and officials).
The Code of Conduct
- Personal conduct and behaviour must at all times be of a high standard and reflect favourably on the sport and the Club. Language in public or relevant group situations must always be appropriate and socially acceptable.
- Attendance at training sessions and specified galas is expected unless there are extenuating circumstances and this has previously agreed by the head coach. Throughout the duration of any gala, swimmers should inform the team manager of their whereabouts at all times (this includes leaving poolside to use the changing/toilet facilities).
Punctuality on all occasions is essential and swimmers must not leave until they have informed the team manager/head coach.
- Personal appearance: shall be appropriate to the circumstances and as indicated by the head coach/team manager. Team kit and equipment shall be worn as directed by the head coach/team manager when competing and training, when assembling or travelling, at official team functions or on other occasions as notified.
- Consumption of Alcohol is totally forbidden for athletes under age as defined by UK Law. It must not be consumed by adult swimmers or staff members whilst en route, prior to or following a competition event, training camp or team activities, without specific consent of the head coach/team manager. During competition alcohol is strictly forbidden to ALL staff and swimmers.
- Smoking: is prohibited by swimmers and staff whilst en route, prior to, during and following a competition event, training session or team activities. This now also includes ‘vaping’.
- Illegal and Performance Enhancing Drugs and Substances are strictly forbidden. Swimmers are expected to be aware of the current list of banned substances and particular care must be exercised if anyone is on medication prior to or during a meet. (eg: some cold & influenza remedies can contain banned substances).
The use of these, even though they may not appear on the official banned list in respect of performance enhancing drugs, is nonetheless prohibited.
- Medication: It is important that information on all medication being currently taken should be reported to the team manager who will report it to the relevant personnel. Allergies to any medication must be reported to the team manager and must be included on the consent form. All medicines to be clearly labelled with the Swimmers name. Never share medication.
In addition it is expected that all members of the Daventry Dolphins Swimming Club, when attending any event or training session shall:
- Comply with the codes, rules and laws within the guidelines set out by the ASA.
- Behave without discrimination on the grounds of race, colour, language, religion, birth or social status as set out in the equal opportunities policy.
- Respect the basic human rights, worth and dignity of each member.
- Not encourage swimmers, volunteers, officials or parents to violate the rules of the club or the sport.
- Observe the authority and decisions of all officials and coaching staff.
- Encourage all swimmers to obey the spirit of the rules and laws both in and out of the pool.
- Treat other competitors and teams with respect, in victory and defeat
Sanctions: Breaches of the Code of Conduct shall be dealt with in the first instance by the Team Manager or Coach. He / she shall report any incident(s) to the Honorary Club Secretary and Committee who shall take such further action as is deemed necessary.
For example (4 strike rule)
- Verbal warning by team manager / coach
- Verbal warning by committee / chairperson
- Written warning by committee / chairperson
- Suspension / expulsion committee decision (see below)
Expulsion and other disciplinary action: The Daventry Dolphins Swimming Club Committee shall have power to expel a member when, in its opinion, it would not be in the interests of the Club for him / her to remain a member. The length of suspension depends on the severity of the case.