Daventry Dolphins Swimming Club
Affiliated to East Midlands Region & Northamptonshire ASA
Child Protection Policy/Safeguarding - last checked 2017
Daventry Dolphins Swimming Club acknowledges it has a duty of care to safeguard children when they are participating in its activities, and further recognises that a duty of care exists for all adults in positions of responsibility including coaches, teachers, poolside helpers and club officials, in respect of the child members in the club.
All ASA affiliated clubs and organisations that have members under the age of 18 are required to adopt the ASA Child Protection procedures as outlined in Wavepower 2016 - 19, a ‘Safeguarding’ toolbox which identifies the principles, policies and procedures to be followed and promoted; the actions the clubs must take when a concern is identified, and what support is available to all concerned.
Daventry Dolphins Swimming Club is fully committed to a club environment in which all children and young people participating in its activities have a safe and positive experience. In order to achieve this the club agrees to:
- Adopt and implement the ASA Wavepower 2016 - 19 policy in full.
- Ensure that an environment is promoted within the club where legitimate concerns can be raised without fear of recrimination or victimisation.
- Adopt, promote and adhere to the following policies in particular:
• ASA guidance on the Safe Supervision of Children.
• ASA Whistle Blowing Policy
• ASA Equality Policy
• ASA Anti Bullying Policy
• ASA Social Media Guidance
• ASA Missing Child Policy
• ASA Late Collection of Children Policy
• ASA Photography Policy, Electronic Communications and Social Media Guidance
• The ASA Code of Ethics
• The ASA Codes of Conduct
- Recognise that all children participating in the club (regardless of age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ability or disability) have a right to enjoy their involvement in swimming in a safe environment and be protected from harm.
- Ensure that those individuals, who work with children in the club, whether paid or voluntary, provide a positive, safe and enjoyable experience for children.
- Appoint a Club Welfare Officer with the necessary skills and training as outlined by the ASA who will take the lead in dealing with all child safeguarding matters raised within the club, and from whom advice and guidance can be gained in safeguarding matters.
- Ensure that the Club Welfare Officers name and contact details are known to all staff, club members and parents of members.
- The Welfare Officer to be available to discuss issues of concern on matters of safeguarding and deal with such concerns appropriately and in line with Wavepower 2016 – 19 and Daventry Dolphins Swimming Club Child Protection Policy Statement
- Ensure all those persons who work with children in the club have undertaken the appropriate training and relevant DBS checks and adhere to the required practices for safeguarding children as outlined in Wavepower 2016 - 19.
- Ensure that all individuals who will be working or will work with children in the club have been recruited in accordance with the ASA Safe Recruitment Policy.
- Ensure that all individuals who work with children in the club have the appropriate training and codes of conduct and good practice to follow in line with the guidance in Wavepower 2016 - 19.
- Provide all club members and parents of members with the opportunity to raise concerns in a safe and confidential manner if they have a concern about a child’s welfare.
- Ensure that all child safeguarding matters, whether they be concerns about child welfare or protection, are dealt with appropriately in accordance with the guidance for reporting and action in Wavepower 2016 - 19.
- Ensure that confidentiality is maintained appropriately and in line with the best interests of the child.
- Ensure all papers relating to child safeguarding matters are held in a safe and secure manner.
- Ensure equal opportunities for all.