Junior Performance 1
Wandsworth Swimming Club swimmers are divided among seven squads based on criteria including ability and times achieved age as at 31 Dec.
The squads and key criteria are listed below. For more detail on squad eligibility times, county/regional QTs, timetables and venues see links below.
Competitive Development squad
Squad focus - Age group swimmers who aspire to compete to the highest of their ability.
Specific annual training program will be set up each season by the squad Lead Coach - all swimmers are expected to follow the training program and compete for the Club on regular basis in meets recommended by the Lead Coach as set out in the Club Competition Calendar.
Swimmers will work on developing their aerobic capacity and further skills improvement on a more professional level, so discipline, commitment, dedication, and thrive to excel is required.
Swimming is beginning to become an athlete’s first sport and gradually taking priority over other sporting commitments.
- 9 - 14 years. Maximum age (on 31st December) when accepted into Comp. Dev. squad is 12 for girls and 13 for boys
- 4 out of 5 sessions per week; we do not accept the substitution of a school swimming session, another club training session or private lessons for the required WSC sessions per week
- Participation in Club Championships, County and Regional Championships (if selected or when QT achieved), Arena League (if selected). Open meets should be entered on coach’s recommendation only - swimmers are expected and encouraged to attend open meets appropriate for their age and development level
- 200m and 400m freestyle
- 100m and 200m IM
- All events in form stroke, one butterfly event
- Streamline position
- Competent use of a pace clock
- Understanding and acceptance of lane etiquette / discipline.
All admittance to the squad and further movement through the Club structure is determined by the Coaching Team.
The Transitioning / Promotion process can be found on our website in the Events section.
The Head Coach and the Club Committee will not guarantee the squad place for a swimmer who attends less than four training sessions and / or consistently does not participate in open meets and / or club galas.
Any swimmer wishing to enter a competition outside the Club Competition Calendar is required to consult with the Head Coach beforehand.
New timetable starting from September 2018 click here
Training is at Putney Leisure Centre .
Squad Rep. Eloise Hill
ASA National QTs
London Region QTs
Surrey County QTs
Competitive Development Eligibility Times