[NOTE : This section is to move into the new club handbook]
Internal Club Disputes
The following is an internal procedure for CMKSC to ensure any internal disputes are handled correctly from the outset. Most clubs from time to time have disputes and these can usually be resolved amicably between the individuals concerned.
There are occasions when a problem arises in a club, for example fighting, where immediate action is required. A temporary suspension or exclusion from a single training session can be given by the coaches. A report should then be made, within 24 hours, to the committee who should follow the procedures outlined below.
Any swimmer / parent with any grievance should put this in writing to the committee and the following procedures will take place. Letters to be handed to any committee member.
It is not appropriate to talk to the coaches during lessons or on poolside.
- On receipt of the dispute every effort will be made to resolve it by informal discussion with the Chairperson.
- If this fails, or it is necessary to discipline a member, the club will set up a panel to deal with the matter.
- The panel will consist of three persons, Chairperson, a secretary and one other. The panel will need to consist of people not involved in the dispute.
- The Chairperson will notify both parties of the date, time and place of the hearing and the names of the panel members. Both parties will be given copies of all the papers and every effort will be made to hold the hearing within 14 days of the receipt of the dispute.
- If either party is under 18 years of age they will be advised of their right to be accompanied by a parent (or another adult with parental responsibility) to help them present their case.
- Both parties will be allowed to bring witnesses.
- The hearing will be as informal as possible.
- The complainant will present evidence first and the accused have the right to reply.
- Both parties will be allowed witnesses, the complainant going first and each party will be allowed to question the other party’s witnesses.
- Witnesses should wait outside the hearing room until they are called.
- The Secretary will make notes of the hearing and the panel will make every effort to announce their decision verbally to all the parties without delay followed by written confirmation to reach all parties within five days.
In summary, CMKSC endeavour to ensure that all parties are treated fairly, the complainant has the opportunity to present the case and the accused has the opportunity to respond.