County Squad Coach : Greg Capper
COUNTY SQUAD CRITERIA
COACH/SWIMMER RATIO: 1:30
Minimum Age: 9 Maximum Age: 14
- Attend 4 training sessions a week regularly, school swimming can be taken into account
- Complete 10 x 100m FS off 2.00, 10 x 100 IM off 2.15, 20 x 50m FS off 55.00
- Swimmers should be competing at Surrey County Championships in 2 events or within 3% of Surrey QTs in following:
- 1 x Distance Freestyle Boys 1500m/400m/200m, Girls 800m/400m/200m
- 1 x Individual medley and/or,
- 1 x 200m Form Stroke
- The criteria may vary from time to time according to squad numbers and selection will be by the Club Coaches
- Develop and improve stroke technique on all four strokes, learn more complex stroke drill progressions for all the four strokes.
- Monitoring training using test swims, practice IM swimming sets.
- Learn and perfect starts, turns and finishes on all four strokes and IM turns.
- Learn and perfect relay takeovers, independently monitor training by using a pace clock.
- Complete a well-balanced training programme that includes; varied pace swims (builds, negative splits, descending sets etc), basic swimming speed, pacing and over distance swim.
- Learn and understand competitive swimming rules.
- Increase the distance covered in training sessions to improve endurance.
- Participate in club time trials/club competitions in a variety of strokes /distances.
- Participate in local meets with the aim of achieving county qualifying times or better.
- Learn the process of goal setting and working toward objectives, learn and practice basic stretching and core body strength work.
- Take responsibility for training equipment required at each training session (kick board, pull buoy, drink bottle, fins, goggles).
- Arrive on Poolside 10 minutes before each training session. All squad selections and criteria are at the discretion of the coaches.
PROGRESSION: COUNTY/CLUB SQUAD TO PERFORMANCE SQUAD
- Swimmers should be attending 4 training sessions regularly.
- Swimmers must have a sufficient skill level to be able to cope with the next level of training needed:-
- Complete 10 x 100m FS off 1.45, 10 x 100m IM off 2.00, 20 x 50m FS off 50.00
- Swimmers should be attending galas highlighted by the coaching staff.
- Swimmers should have sufficient skill level to be able to cope with the next level of training need.
- Swimmers should be competing at Regional Level and achieve Surrey County Qualifying Times in the following:
- 1 x Distance FS Boys 1500m/400m/200m, Girls 800m/400m/200m
- 1 x Individual Medley and/or 200m form stroke.
Disabled swimmers eligible for IPC Classification will be assessed in line with LTAD and coach discretion - where appropriate guidance from the London Regional Disability Coach will be sought.
All squad selections and criteria are at the discretion of the coaching team and are made in line with Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). Swimmers who are dissatisfied with their squad selection will need to make an appointment with the Head Coach and Welfare Officer/Secretary to discuss the reasoning. Swimmers below the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.