JUNIOR SQUAD CRITERIA
COACH/SWIMMER RATIO 1:30
Minimum Age: 7 Maximum Age: 12
- Be able to commit to attending 3 training sessions regularly, school swimming can be taken into account
- Swim 200m freestyle
- Swim 200m breaststroke
- Swim 200m backstroke
- Swim 1 x 100 IM, all strokes legal, except fly which should be legal for 20m
- 100 frontcrawl on/under 3 minutes
- Correct stroke technique for breaststroke, frontcrawl and backstroke with bilateral breathing
- Able to complete a plunge dive competently, showing good stance, take off, flight and streamlined underwater phase. Must be happy to commence learning from Blocks
- Two hand touch on Breast/Fly and push off in a streamlined position
- Able to sink, push and glide front and back from the wall 5m
- Be able to somersault at the wall for tumbles
- Swimmers must begin to enter all Closed Club Champs and Open Meets and represent the club when requested
- Swimmers must have a sufficient skill level to be able to cope with the next level of training needed.
- Junior Squad must have sufficient space
- Take responsibility for training equipment required at each training session (pull buoy, drink bottle and fins, goggles).
- Introduction to lane swimming/learning dives, starts and turns.
- Fundamental techniques of front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly.
- Lane discipline and etiquette (e.g. when overtaking, swim round, not over!).
- Using the clock.
- Able to understand the basic swimming coaching language i.e. what is a 50? 100? kick, fly, free, back, zip up, catch up etc.
- Survival skills (what to do if you find yourself in cold water etc).
PROGRESSION CRITERIA TO COUNTY SQUAD
Minimum Age 9 Maximum Age 12
- Attend 3 training sessions regularly
- Complete 10 x 100m FS off 2.00 and 10 x 100 IM off 2.25, and 20 x 50m FS off 55.00
- Swimmers should be competing at the Surrey County Championships (in 2 events) or within 3% of Surrey QT's in
- 1 x Distance, Boys 400m or 200m, Girls 800m or 400m or 200m.
- 1 x Individual Medley and/or 1 x Form Stroke.
- Swimmer must have a sufficient skill level to be able to cope with the next level of training needed.
- 200m FS with tumble turns and bilateral breathing/200m BK with tumble turns and bent arm pulling action.
- 200m BS with correct underwater pullout/100m BF with fins and correct turns/100m IM with correct turns.
- Achieved Competitive Start Award/Correct Finishes on the four competitive strokes
- Compete in Club Champs, Croydon Borough Series of Galas and introduce to level 3/4 competitions
- Represent the Club when requested at Team Competitions
- Swimmers should be showing good team spirit and looking out for fellow swimmers
- Swimmers should have a sound understanding of training sets and lane discipline
The criteria may vary from time to time according to squad numbers and selection will be by the Club Coaches
Disabled swimmers eligible for IPC Classification will be assessed in line with LTAD and coach discretion - where appropriate guidance from the London Regional Disability Coach will be sought.
All squad selections and criteria are at the discretion of the coaching team and are made in line with Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). Swimmers who are dissatisfied with their squad selection will need to make an appointment with the Head Coach and Welfare Officer/Secretary to discuss the reasoning. Swimmers below the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.