All Candidates need to register for courses one full calendar month prior to session 1 with the exception of courses starting in January 2018 when registration will be required one week prior to session 1. Courses which are under-subscribed will be withdrawn on final registration date.
If you are paying for your Official Licence via BACS, please use the bank details as follows
Bank Name: Lloyds
Sort Code: 30-65-85
Account Number: 49818760
Account Name: Swim England
BACS Reference: OL and your name
*******Once payment has been made, please send an email to:- [email protected] with the following information:-
Date of transfer
Any queries please contact Nikki Hunting on 01509 640495 or [email protected]
Contemporary Issues - Instructions for the online course
Safeguarding & Protecting Children Workshop
The New Online Judge 1 Course is now live online – you can begin today!
What does it consist of?
Judge 1 training consists of a series of on-line theory learning modules followed by a mandatory poolside experience programme.
The on-line course modules you can do at your own pace. The poolside experience is supported by a local contact and by mentors on poolside. You must get a series of practical/observational competencies signed-off by referees.
- First visit the Institute of Swimming (IoS) website https://www.swimming.org and register to create your own account for training purposes.
- Then go to https://www.swimming.org/ios/course/3143 the - Swimming Technical Officials – Judge 1 theory page - and sign-up to the course at the bottom of the page.
- You will need to pay for the course – it costs £20 which includes the final J1 Licence. (Your club may reimburse you or provide you with a voucher). You can then access the course from the ‘purchased courses’ page.
- Begin the modules – do them at your own pace. There are Time Keeper and Chief Time Keeper modules. When you have done these, you have to do a practical test using a stopwatch under supervision (you can request to do this at any gala or if you are part of a group some clubs may arrange to have a Referee visit a specially arranged session during training).
- When all the modules are completed in full, you can submit the on-line theory certificate to Swim England (along with a passport-type photo). They will then provide you with a workbook and a local contact who will support your poolside mentoring.
- Mentoring involves about 15h or so on poolside - so this may be over a half dozen or more sessions at various galas. You need experience of observing all the strokes and experience at a range of galas from basic ones with no automatic time-recording equipment, up to county-level or greater and must include Level 1 and Level 2 meets. (Most candidates do this as they support their swimmers). ALL THE COMPETANCIES MUST BE SIGNED OFF WITHIN 11 MONTHS OF COMPLETING THE ON-LINE COURSE.
- When your local contact has seen and approved your workbook, there is a final step, a separate training on-line course called ‘Contemporary Issues’ which you must also complete on the IoS website. This is actually free, and you can do it at any stage once you are registered. When this is complete your local contact will arrange to confirm with Swim England that you have successfully completed so that your J1 qualification can be confirmed and issued.
For more information please contact:
Ralph Shortland ([email protected]) or Pam Crofts ([email protected])
Back to the top
||Pam Crofts: [email protected]
|Please contact Pam Crofts for the Zoom Link
ack to the top
Full addresses of locations can be provided by the contact tutor.
J2 sessions are 2 hours minimum.
J2S session is 2 hours minimum.