Club History

The Onehunga Swimming Club was officially founded in 1956 with its headquarters at the Onehunga War Memorial Pools. Under coach Cliff Williams, the club performed extremely well at all levels including gaining medals at Commonwealth Games. At its peak, it had around 800 members.

Once indoor pools appeared around Auckland, the club struggled to keep members till it only had around 20. However in 1989, the Onehunga Borough Council built an indoor pool at the site of the existing outdoor pool. From that point, the club grew steadily to around 270 members.

From late 1990s, the club began looking for more pool space and good training times at a reasonable rate. Under the stewardship of John Sherlock and Cameron Russell, they approached Epsom Girls Grammar with the idea of joining together to build a pool. By April 2002 after a lot of hard work by the committee of the time, the club was training its competitive members out of a new pool at the Epsom Aquatic Centre. Learn to swim and junior squads were still taken at the Onehunga War Memorial Pools.

The arrangement with Epsom Girls Grammar came to and end in 2009 and the club now operates solely from the Onehunga War Memorial Pools.