Norwich Swan Swimming Club




Medication Declaration Information

The following is taken from the British Swimming Medication Declaration Form Information Guide (revised May 2007), and applies to any swimmer taking part in a National ASA event, or representing GB or their Home Country.

Anyone that is representing Great Britain or their Home Country internationally or competing in a British Swimming ASA, SASA or WASA National event (all disciplines, excluding masters) MUST complete a Medication Declaration Form. This form is available through your club via the registration/welfare officer or via the British Swimming website and must be completed annually or whenever you or your Doctor change your medication.

Medication (whether prescribed by a Doctor or purchased from a pharmacy or other retail outlet) includes supplements such as Vitamins, Creatine and Echinacea along with anything that you may apply to your skin or agents such as eye drops, ear drops, nasal sprays and inhalers.

For further information on queries regarding medication please ring Dr David Hunt on 01773 872865.

In addition the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) has determined that some medication may confer an unfair competitive advantage and have issued a list of those drugs and other agents that are banned for use by competitors. Some agents on this banned list may be used for specific medical conditions and, in some instances the drug is the only one, which is effective.

Prohibited List - In order to ensure that you are not unknowingly taking banned substances, it necessary to be familiar with the most current Prohibited List (which is subject to change from time to time). This list outlines each prohibited class of substances with examples. A current edition of the list can be found on the UK Sport Drug Information Database (DID) (the WADA website You can also use the DID to check the status of UK
licensed medications

Therapeutic Exemption Forms - When an athlete reaches the standard of a National Squad or is selected to swim for Great Britain, England, Wales or Scotland or in the case of Commonwealth Games one of the Islands recognised by the Commonwealth you are required under WADA to obtain an exemption certificate from Federation lnternationale de Natation (FINA) the world governing body for swimming, water polo, diving, synchronised swimming and open water swimming or in the case of disability swimming from UK Sport on behalf of the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) to enable you to use your medication without failing a dope test.

If you have to take a banned substance for a legitimate medical condition you should first check with your Doctor to see if there are any permitted alternative treatments or medications. If this is not possible you will need to apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) using the correct application forms.

There are two types of TUE applications:

1. Abbreviated TUE (ATUE) - This is required for some inhaled asthma medications and some products containing lucocorticosteroilds. ATUE’s are considered valid on receipt (of a fully and appropriately completed ATUE form by the relevant organisation (see above)

2. Standard TUE - These forms will be reviewed by a panel of independent physicians, known as the Therapeutic Use Exemption Committee (TUEC).

For further information on whether you need to apply for a TUE and where to send the application please ring Wendy Coles on 01509 234088 or check on the British Swimming Website (